Sunday, September 2, 2007

Don't You Know Who I Am?

To get in the spirit of our celebrity sighting, I wanted to share a story that happened pre-blogging in our Provo days. We are pretty big Costco fans and for those of you who aren't big wholesale shoppers, you can't enter the store without showing your membership card. With that said, here is our fun anecdote for the day:

Chris and I were not members of the fabulous chain that is Costco yet and were accompanying Mom and Dad on a shopping excursion, mostly to lunch on the free samples. Chris realized he left his phone in the car and ran to the parking lot. After he left, it dawned on my mother that he would not be able to get back in the store as he didn't have his own membership card. So we are standing next to a pallet of Campbell Soup while I scarf down the latest flavor out of a paper shot glass and Mom is wringing her hands, trying to stand on her toes to see the entrance to the store and hopefully Chris. We are of course nowhere near the entrance and her intimidating 5'3" frame can't see over the racks of fake Sherpa coats anyway. Dad has wandered off towards the latest Dan Brown novel at this point and I have spotted another sample an aisle down. Mom is nervous that I am not more concerned with my husband being stranded in the parking lot of Costco than tasting the microwavable turkey burger. Excuse me for being a starving student. And I know my husband is clever, I just didn't realize quite how clever.

Mom finally convinces me to call Chris, and I tell him Mom will meet him at the front (I don't want to miss the first batch of frozen burritos do I?) at the entrance. He says not to worry, he can see me now. Up he walks with quite the story:

Chris walks importantly through the store entrance, ignoring the employee in the red vest.
Employee: "Sir, I need to see your membership card."
Chris: Annoyed, "Are you kidding?"
E: "......No, sir."
C: Arrogantly, "Don't you know who I am?"
E: "Um, ....no?"
C: More patiently now, "You must be new."
E: "Well, ....yeah, ....I've been here about two weeks."
C: Explanatory, "Well, .....I'm Chris Graham"
E: "Oh....... I'm really sorry Mr. Graham......Go right ahead." Ushering him into the store with no further questions.

4 comments:

Samye said...

Love it! That started my day off with a little laugh...

Shannon Martino said...

that is hillarious

Emily said...

I think of that very incident almost every time I go to Costco and don't feel like whipping out my "I belong here!" card. I'm just not as gutsy or suave as one, Chris Graham! Thanks for the walk down memory lane to revisit this funny story :)

Carma said...

I will have to remember this for the next VIP place I am trying to get into illegally!

 
template by suckmylolly.com