Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Pacesions

February 28, 2007

My big "interrogation" was today. The cops drove me down to the precinct and threw me in a room with a two-way mirror, a card table, two folding chairs, and a single desk-sized heat lamp. That detective was straight out of Law & Order. No mercy. Ok, ok, so maybe it wasn't THAT kind of interrogation. A cardiac interrogation is actually how they check my pacemaker. Not nearly as exciting is it? They put a magnet similar to a computer mouse over the pacemaker. Then they right click to get the pull-down menu, and..wait...that can't be right. But it is connected to a special laptop that can measure how often I have used the pacemaker and I have used it less than half of a percent! In case you are a little lost, that is REALLY good. Although, in all fairness, how vigorous can my heart rate be when I spend my days on the couch with the occasional trip to the grocery store? Just to make sure the settings are not too high (meaning it's not kicking in when it should) I have to have another interrogation in a month when my activity level has increased.
I did ask the doctor about the limitations in my right arm and when those might go away. I would just like to say on record, that a doctor, to my face, admitted there had been a mistake. "I'm sorry, this is all our fault. See, you never needed to not use your arm. Because your pacemaker was given during open-heart surgery, we didn't have to thread it through your veins and there is no way you could've disconnected your leads." So my arm and shoulder aren't sore, they're just completely stiff. We are slowly going to start using my arm. But I figure if that's the biggest mistake they made, I can live with it. We have all be so impressed with the entire staff at the hospital and the clinic. They have been so attentive, available, and thorough. If you ever need a recommendation, I have one.
In good news this week, I washed my hair all by myself! This is sadly, the most exciting news I have had in weeks. But just in time to be able to shower before my sweet mother-in-law comes to town. I love her, but I don't think she needs to get to know that side of me. Mom leaves on Friday and Rhonie (Chris' mom) comes on Saturday. Chris is working Friday night so this will be my first "alone" time longer than half an hour. Should be interesting. If phones start ringing after 9pm Eastern time, I might be lonely and/or bored. :) Sorry Dad, I know those are your favorite words.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com