Thursday, October 11, 2007

Carnival Cake

Mom, this is mostly for you. And Elysa- since you were asking about the cake. This stupid thing took me a week to make. This was Judith's 30th birthday cake and I was pretty much making it up as I went a long. It took a week because I did it in stages. Made the cookie dough one night, cooked them another, frosted them the third. You get the idea. The cookies which were used as the animals for the carousel and to supplement the cake as we had no idea how many people would be coming to the party. It was a "whimsical" carousel which in reality meant I could not for my life find a horse cookie cutter that was the right size or that I liked (it's possible I only looked in 1 store). These I already had. :)

Then I baked a 2 layer cake, but did not put them together. I used some cake pillars and separator plate to make the carousel pieces and used icing as glue for the "ponies". The decoration is a Meringue Buttercream icing which I found on the Martha Stewart wedding website and the candies are Skittles Gum. I would've loved to decorate it more elaborately, but at this point, I was really done with the cake. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Deya!!!!!! That is so cool. I want to know how to make those cookies with the icing that I assume hardens since they were on top of each other in the picture. That is a really cute, cute cake. (And we know it's all about cute!) The more you do things like that the easier it becomes. I hope the birthday girl was appreciative of how much work that cake took to put together. And that you got your lifters back. Good job! I love you, MOM

Emily said...

Holy cow! I am so impressed!! What a great job. the cake is adorable and I can't believe how much work you put into it. You're such a great friend! Looks like I should've had you make my wedding cake (that I didn't want)!!

Samye said...

Super impressive!! You are becoming just like a Martha, right??

sprice said...

very impressive!!!

Elysa said...

Check out that cake! You're making me look bad! I was proud of my home made rice krispie squares until I saw your cake.

Rich and Kristl said...

Deya,
I am so impressed. After taking a cake course at Michael's, I still couldn't make anything close to that cute!

Shane, Meg, CJ, RJ, and AL said...

Love your creative cake! It's magnificent!

Oh and....TAG!!!!

You've been tagged -- see my blog for instructions!

Thanks,
Megan

Brianne & Jarod said...

Deya..you are amazing! I love the cake and the cookies! It looks so good I want to EAT IT! (I am highly addicted to sugar right now..not sure why ;) I am really impressed and love that you take time to bake something each week. I get excited to see what it is. I was enjoying cooking myself this year, and then I had a baby...sure is fun to read your blog..would you mind if I add your name to mine??

 
template by suckmylolly.com