Sunday, July 22, 2007

Camping in the City: Trail C


I should probably explain the Jeep ads. After Lake and I dubbed the weekend "Camping in the City" we walked off the metro and were inundated with these Jeep ads literally seconds later. So it became the official campaign for the weekend. I knew this would be dad's favorite. May the Jeep (fish-mobile) rest in peace.

After fighting off the paparazzi for the future Justice of the Peace, we grabbed lunch and headed to Arlington Cemetery. This is actually a pretty cool place despite the ominous title. For future travel reference, it is worth shelling out the extra $7 to watch your fellow tourists sweating and crawling up the steep hill from the open-air bus. Even I braved the spider-webs in the "windows" of the bus to avoid having to repel back down to the metro station.

Can I take a minute to express my appreciation for the cleanliness of the DC metro system? I've ridden on many undergrounds in my short life and never have I felt okay about leaning against walls or sitting on benches! No garbage! None! It was soooo clean! I wish we had a metro system in Orlando, I'm sure that would make my commute to work much shorter. Although, given that Florida is all marshlands, I'm not sure how much safer since Steve Irwin is no longer with us.

After the cemetery, we were both pretty wiped out so we went back to the brick and mortar "tent" (just go with the whole camping thing, okay?) for a "non nap". We took the evening pretty easy. Had a nice local treat for dinner, window shopped and splurged on dessert. See Lake's blog.

As for my "roughing it" part of the day, I did have a slight injury. Rich and Kristl, you are going to LOVE this. Lake's friend Rich, thinks piggie tails are dangerous. The picture he created for me, made ma a little self-conscious about them. Being as we were roughing it and I didn't have a hair-dryer, I had to have SOME type of pig-tails, I decided to tuck them under to make them "safer". Needless to say, it got stuck in my purse and once I got Lake to quit laughing, he untangled me, but not before taking a picture.

1 comments:

Rich and Kristl said...

Deya,
Don't say we didn't warn you, those piggie-tail/purse encounters can be brutal!

 
template by suckmylolly.com